TOP NEWS

Any content on this website is available for use, if you link back to this blog. Thankyou!

Sunday 19 May 2013

Learn Korean Expressions #1


Hello Everyone!

Earlier today, I was brainstorming some ideas as to what I thought you'd might like to see me post, when a rather cool idea popped into my head! Since, I am studying Korean, I thought it would be a nice idea if I could share what I know with you! :) I know that many residents of the K-Pop world are interested in the Korean language, aaannd so maybe it wouldn't be a half-bad idea to share some on this very site! :D

What I've decided to introduce is a 'Learn Korean Phrases' section of this blog, where you will be able to find idiomatic expressions, phrases, or maybe interesting words etc! I was thinking maybe one post.. every week? 

This Week!..

..I will be teaching you the idiomatic expression:
눈이 높아요
[nun-i nop-a-yo]

Let's see the construction of this phrase..

  1. 눈(이) [nun] means 'EYE'
  2. 높아요 [nop-a-yo] means 'IS HIGH'
So, if we look at the whole sentence together, "눈이 높아요" [nun-i nop-a-yo] literally means "Your eyes are high"!

Meaning:

Before you abnormally assume things, "눈이 높아요" [nun-i nop-a-yo] does not mean you have really vertically long eyes, or are freakishly tall.. but it means that your expectations are high; you aim up into the clouds too much!

Example:

So.. if you look at the image I posted as the header for this blog post, the guy says..
"My ideal type is Sulli"
Pororo then replies..
"아이고.. 눈이 높아요~!" [Aigoo.. nun-i nop-a-yo~!]
So what Pororo is trying to say to the guy is that he's aiming too high! Sulli is a Korean celebrity~~

Note:

"눈이 높아요" [nun-i nop-a-yo] can be used in other situations where someone's expectations may be too high... but using it to describe someone's ideal type, or dating life is probably where it's used the most! :)


So What Did You Think? ^o^

If you guys liked this, then I'd be more than happy to post more of them, more regularly than once a week! Please tell me what you think in the comments section below.. yeahh~!! ^^


KAREN~.




0 comments: